STRIKE JOBS NEW DIRECT STRIKEJOBS INDEED
Local Democracy Reporter
Media, Digital & Creative
£25,500 Per Annum
15th May 2018
Job DescriptionJOB TITLE: Local Democracy Reporter
SALARY & BENEFITS: £25,652– 2 years fixed term contract
THE COMPANY: Johnston Press are a leading media company within the UK with brands including The I, The Scotsman, Yorkshire Post, Sheffield Star, and Portsmouth News. Our digital audience is nationwide and we reach over 24m users a month across mobile, desktop and tablet.
THE ROLE: The Local Democracy Reporter is an exciting position for someone with the passion and ability to generate multimedia content which engages the public and which meets standards set by the partnership in terms of quality, consistency and legal accuracy.
You will ensure that matters, decisions and issues relating to the public authorities covered in the LDRS Editorial Brief are covered in a timely, impartial and audience-friendly way.
You will be a public ambassador for the project, and become a trusted source of news and information about the public authorities covered.
Key responsibilities of the Local Democracy Reporter, Preston
• Deliver strong content in a multimedia way on a daily basis, focusing primarily on text but also providing images, audio and video as and when required.
• Write content in a way which engages and drives audience including through SEO and social media awareness
• Ensure all content is politically neutral and provides a fair reflection of views
• Ensure agendas for councils and public bodies are scrutinised, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to the public’s attention.
• Working with your content editor, identify which meetings need to be covered and reported
• Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local communities
• Be active on social media, in line with partnership policies, to build audiences and communities
• Ensure all content produced has suitable metadata attached
• Deliver live coverage as and when required
• Provide two-way interviews for broadcast media as and when required
• Provide monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder media organisations
Key Experience/ Characteristics required for the Local Democracy Reporter, Preston
• Good writing skills, up-to-date legal knowledge, shorthand proficiency (eg 100 wpm)
• NCTJ or similar qualification required
• A minimum of 2 years’ experience as a reporter in a daily news environment and/or working to daily news deadlines
• Excellent communicator on social media
• Excellent at working under pressure and identifying priorities
• Be familiar with digital tools and techniques across a range of mobile devices
• Strong understanding of working and processes within local government
• Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
• Strong contact-building skills
• Proficiency taking images, shooting video and gathering audio
Please note - Trainees approaching senior qualifications will be considered for this role.
Does this sound like you? Are you our next Local Democracy Reporter? If yes then please hit the apply now button.
You will then be sent to an online questionnaire to support your CV and application, please fill in the details and we will be in touch to advise you of the next steps