Job Title: Lead Nurse :Department: Nursing/Health Services
|Responsible to: Senior Lead Nurse
Responsible for: Nursing Staff/ Support Workers/Health Care Assistants
|Job Summary (Description of main purpose of job):
To be responsible for a total of 16 Nursing Home Beds split across 12 Nursing Home and 4 Respite beds. To deliver high quality care and clinical management across the service in accordance with the mission statement of the Brothers of Charity Services – England, the relevant strategic and business plan objectives, commissioning and regulatory frameworks and best practice in care provision.
|Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the day to day management of staff and services within the designated area ensuring appropriate resourcing and management in line with Service Policy and Procedures.
- To undertake initial and ongoing assessments of residents and work in partnership with their family / external agencies; advising on BOCS procedures relevant to admission ensuring that risks are identified and managed and care is evidence based to meet the current or changing clinical needs of the individual.
- Participate professionally in Person Centred Planning and Reviews and all other relevant meetings relating to support requirements of the people we support when required to do so and ensure outcomes/objectives identified in PCP’s/Action plans are met.
- Responsible for the effective performance management of teams in line with Service Policy and Procedures, reflecting the Mission Statement, Ethos, Vision and Values of Brothers of Charity Services
- To take lead role in liaising with teams to design meaningful activities that achieve desired outcomes for the people we support and reflect best practice models of care and support.
- Take lead role in effective co-ordination with stakeholders to design activities that increase community involvement and utilise community assets effectively
- To be fully aware of all agreed emergency protocols/procedures and be prepared to take a lead role in any acute clinical or non clinical emergency, until specialist assistance arrives.
- Ensuring that individual nutritional requirements of the people we support are met and other dietary plans reviewed including the use of peg feeds and/or other methods of facilitating food/fluid intakes.
- Responsible for quality assured clinical management services
- Ensure teams effectively administer and store drugs and medicines in line with service policy and procedure
- To ensure that relevant stocks and supplies are ordered and accurately recorded
- To cover nursing shifts as required by the service
- Communicate positively and effectively with all stakeholders both internal and external to the Services.
- Recognise and respond to the health and personal needs of the people we support at all times using advice, assistance and guidance as and when necessary.
- Liaison with external agencies and other primary health care practitioners in the prescription and delivery of treatments.
- To act as Mentor and Placement Manager for professional placements
- To deliver relevant training to staff on behalf of the service as part of the service’s workforce development strategy
- Maintain ongoing assessment of individual needs of the people we support, based on nursing interventions.
- Provide appropriate and meaningful management information and reports on a regular basis, supporting the development and delivery of KPI’s and performance metrics for the service
- To promote the effective use of Coldharbour clinical management system and support team to utilise it effectively
- To ensure all financial policies and procedures are implemented and monitored appropriately in line with service requirements
- To proactively ensure adherence to and promotion of the services’ safeguarding policies and procedures
- Ensure teams deliver accurate and concise recording/maintenance of person centred planning and clinical protocols on a daily basis for each person we support.
- Responsible for planning and monitoring staff rotas to ensure consistency of staffing and efficiency for the benefits of the people we support.
- To co-ordinate and participate in the on call/out of hours rota ensuring there is a back-up nurse for the service at all times
- Manage administration time effectively
- Responsible for own personal learning and development/CPD and supporting the performance and learning and development/CPD of team in line with service policies and procedures.
- To maintain professional development as required by Nursing Midwifery Council ensuring successful revalidation is achieved.
- Promote a diverse and inclusive workforce which is free from any discriminatory practice.
- Work within designated compliance and quality assurance frameworks as required by the service (SP QAF, CQC, CSE, IiP etc).
- Represent the service in a professional and confidential manner building positive relationships with external stakeholders.
- Adhere with section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act to take reasonable care of own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts and omissions
- Any other duties appropriate to this post, as necessary or as requested
In the course of your duties you may have access to confidential information about company business. It must be stressed that under no circumstances must this information be communicated to anyone other than authorised persons.
All employees should be aware that due to the nature of work the Brothers of Charity undertakes there are elements of risk relating to challenging behaviour, moving and handling. Appropriate training will be offered and staff will be required to participate. There may be a risk due to passive smoke.